Monday, March 31, 2014

Music Monday

This morning,  I received such a nice comment on a previous post that I decided to devote this entry to getting my reader set up with some new tunes.  Anonymous said..."Always enjoyed what you had to say. Glad to see you're writing again. Listening to anything of note, these days? I need something new to listen to at work."  Not only can I help you, but I'm thinking Music Monday might be around to stay!

Now normally I would ask all kinds of questions before I make a suggestion for new music.  What kind of office do you work in?  What genres are your favorites? Do you need need a boost in the morning or after lunch?  No matter your need, Songza has to covered.  I downloaded the free app on my iPhone a couple of years ago, and couldn't be happier.  It organizes playlists by genre, decade, mood and activity. You're not just limited to listening from your mobile device, either.  They have a fully functioning website so you can listen directly from your desk.  Some of my favorites are Irrelevant Bees, put together by the ultra hip and self-proclaimed sometimes DJ, Kahlym Schell (Tumblr here). It's loaded with some great, upbeat little gems that you've likely never heard. I also really like Melancholy Jangle, a 60's garage rock compilation that's great for rainy days, Alternative Pick-Me-Ups spanning decades and literally vowing to break through your mid-afternoon slump and the Girls: Jessa playlist.  It boasts the coolest pop-punk and rock from 1954-1979 for those of you who still long for the character and warmth of vinyl. Even if my recommendations aren't exactly your bag, there are practically endless options and all of them are free.  Just make sure you are on WiFi if you stream from your mobile device.

Want to just make your own playlist for your iPod?  I used this ultimate playlist to help me decide what to load on my new iPhone a few months ago.  It was put together by a last.fm group who calls themselves The Musical Elitists. They are thorough and have so many excellent tracks that every true music lover needs at their fingertips.  

Tracks I'm digging for Spring of 2014? "Broken Bones and Pocket Change" by St. Paul and the Broken Bones is on repeat right now.  I like it because it's a new song with an old soul.  Definitely a band with a wide appeal if you have to share your speakers with an office mate. "Hot and Cold" by Ex Hex is still encouraging my teenage daydream of having an all chick rock band. "Wave" by Beck is dreamy and cinematic. I'll need to wait another paycheck to pick up Morning Phase in it's entirety, but this one gets a regular listen.


Hope I helped, Anonymous!  Happy playlisting. 

No comments: