Friday, January 18, 2008

As Promised...


Here are my newest and truest faves, musically speaking:


I have been listening to a lot of oldies, and I don't mean 80's music. This includes a lot of Rosemary Clooney, and some Billie Holiday. I guess I've been in the mood for some jazzy, bluesy classics. I am now, and always will be, a sucker for Stevie Wonder. By this, I'm talking about anything done up until "I Just Called to Say I Love You". I'm talking about the funky stuff.


Aside from this, I've been catching up with some new albums. First of all, let me say that Dolores O'Riordan's solo work is fantastic. I've been really soaking up her unique vocals. Though still new this century , I've been enjoying Badly Drawn Boy's Have You Fed the Fish? (2002), and am so glad I heard "All Possibilities" before Target took hold of it and used it in an advertisement. This last year was great for music, as I've been listening to Blonde Redhead, Wilco, Spoon, Travis, and Tegan and Sara, who all put albums out during that time. I can't wait to see what this year has in store for us.


My guilty pleasures will always include pop and hip hop music. I generally stay away from the stuff, but I've adored The Streets, and Lady Sovereign. It's snarky British rap, so it's not for everyone, but I enjoy playing it loudly when I'm blue, and there's no one else around to make fun of me.


My favorite song to start the day? "Dry the Rain" by The Beta Band.


There's a lot more great music out there, however, I wouldn't have enough time or space to contain my thoughts on all of it. Look for some more musical highlights on here from time to time and I'll keep you in the good stuff. Deal?

No comments: