Saturday, February 16, 2008

Rainy Day...


It's dreary and raining today, so I thought it might be a good time to update. I've been listening to a lot of new-ish music and thought I'd share. Jim Noir is a name not a lot of you have heard of, but you've probably heard his song, "My Patch", on the holiday Target commercial. The rest of the album is fantastic. It's sort of a cross between vocal pop and electronica. Great for indies, and hipsters. His website is fun and brightly colored. Just what you need on a day like this.


I'll admit, I didn't give the newest Modest Mouse album a decent chance. This is mainly because I thought they were getting away from their roots and becoming more radio-friendly. Johnny Marr's influence extends beyond his work with the Smiths and really breathes new life into the music, however. It's a good little album, and their innovative approach to videos is refreshing. It's great that they're getting their fans involved. It also appears that they are touring with REM, which makes me so happy, I can hardly contain it.


I've also been listening to a lot of Landon Pigg, who reminds me a lot of Rufus Wainwright. You've probably heard "Falling in Love at a Coffee Shop" on a Diamond is Forever commercial this holiday season. He's also been played on Grey's Anatomy, which has launched quite a few careers. Just ask Tegan and Sara, who were having mild indie success until their song "Where Does the Good Go" ended an episode. Now they seem to be popping up all over the place. The girls are on tour, by the way. I'll be seeing them in the next couple of months. Check your local venues for tour dates, or view their website.

No comments: