Saturday, April 5, 2014

Blogging for the Cure


It's always been a dream of mine to start a charity in my father's name.  He lost his battle with cancer when I was just a baby, but the stories I've been told about him growing up have helped me to know him and keep him close. One of the stories that lead me down this path was how he'd cash his paycheck and take the loose change to playgrounds and schools and leave it for kids to find.  My dream for honoring him is to establish a foundation that bears his name and holds true to the generous, kind man that he was.  Aside from providing funds to help people receiving treatment for cancer, I want to make sure the loved ones supporting them also receive care. Whether it's taking care of a few months of bills and food, sending a kid to school or college, or just sending the family on a nice vacation to try to alleviate some of the stress of their lives, I want to make sure their needs are met, whatever they may be.

I've been really down lately because I'm very underemployed at the moment and am struggling just to meet my own needs. Though I'm making major strides to change that, I've felt like this dream has been slipping further and further from my grasp. It hit me in the past few days though, that there are really so many things I can do to get started in the spirit of giving, even if all I have to give are my words here and my time out there in the world.  I hope to shine light on charities doing good, humanitarians giving of their resources, and people who have inspiring stories of recovery and wellness to share.  I realize it sounds like a bit of a departure from what I'll be posting on here most days, but I promise to make it interesting and worth the time you'll spend reading it.


One of the things you can do right now is help support my sweet friend Sheree who is battling ovarian cancer.  She is tough as nails and has a heart as big as Texas. Her treatment is expensive and helping her cause by buying a Team Rea t-shirt through booster.com will help keep on her road to health. We need this amazing and awesome woman in the world, so lend your support to her family, and others who love her to pieces. 

I recently read about a wonderful organization while learning more about what my girl is going through that I think is really cool.  They are called Teal Toes, and they help spread the word about ovarian cancer by painting their toenails teal, the color of ovarian cancer awareness, and getting their friends and loved ones to do the same while talking to women about this silent killer. Included on the site is a list of places where you can purchase your polish, some of which actually help support finding a cure!  I already have my teal polish and happen to have a gift card for a pedicure in my purse right now.  I think I know what I'll be doing this afternoon.

Any of you have a charity or cause close to your heart?  Leave me a comment and I'll make sure to post about it in the coming days. 

No comments: