Monday, April 14, 2014

Music Monday: Rain Edition

Music Monday is going to be a cold and wet one here, so I'm giving  you my top singles and albums to listen to on a rainy day. Settle in with your Earl Grey, put on your alma mater sweatshirt and curl up under your coziest blanket. I've got your ears covered, though.

It took me a while to jump on the Ray LaMontagne bandwagon, mostly because he was sorta preppy cool before I was willing to listen anything that wasn't signed to an indie label. The fact is, the guy's voice will knock the breath out of you. "Airwaves" from his March 18th album, Supernova, is both young and old at the same time. The blue-eyed soul and beautiful lyrics aren't hard to listen to, either. This is possibly my favorite new single this week.

I love Rufus Wainwright. I'd have to say you can't possibly go wrong with any of his albums during a rainstorm.  His lyrics are poetry. His melodies divine.  "In My Arms" from his self-titled debut album is a perfect example.

Belle and Sebastian typically hits it out of the park for me on a dreary day.  Their music is sleepy without putting you to sleep.  It usually keeps the good and mellow feeling going even after the sun comes out.  For this day, I'm picking If You're Feeling Sinister, the band's second album.

My absolute all time favorite song for rainy days, though? Eleanor Rigby. Sure, it makes me tear up a little every time I hear it, but sometimes you just need a good cry. Maybe that's why it rains to begin with.


No comments: