Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Product Review Wednesday: Natural Calm

I have been under a remarkable amount of stress, lately. I'm looking for a better job, trimming costs from an already tight budget, and trying to keep some semblance of a social life at the same time. This wreaks havoc on my neck and shoulders.  Tension forms there until I'm so tense I can hardly move.

I've also been putting some stress on my body in good ways, by working out.  I'm trying to slim down and tone up, which is going well. It also creates some soreness and stiffness in areas that haven't seen much action in a while. This also comes out as debilitating leg cramps at night. They have woken me up screaming in the past because they were so painful. 

The best product I used the entire time I worked around vitamins and supplements was Natural Calm by Natural Vitality. The magic comes in the form of powdered magnesium citrate, a mineral we don't get enough of in the average American diet. When our bodies are deficient in magnesium we can have trouble getting to sleep, store tension in our muscles, and experience anxiety, salt cravings and even depression.

I put two teaspoons in a mug, add hot water to the powder, let it fizz, stir and sip the stuff like tea. What follows is the slow release of daily tensions until I am simply ready for natural, restful sleep. It was a godsend this weekend after helping my mom move.  I think it saved me from being confined to bed all day Sunday with terrible muscle cramps.It comes in Lemon, Orange, Cherry, Raspberry Lemon and Unflavored. They all taste a little like Alka-Seltzer to me, but I found the Orange one to be the most pleasing.

The only bit of warning I will give is to start out small when you first start taking magnesium. Too much too fast relaxes everything, if you catch my drift.  If you don't catch my drift, I'm talking about your bowels.  Sweet Jesus, just watch yourself, okay?

That said, I don't know how I would get by without this stuff. I can't stop tension from creeping up on me during the day. I can be a blissful, happy girl at bedtime, though. Sound lovely? Get the stuff cheaply here or look for single packets at Whole Foods and Natural Grocers to test them out first.

No comments: