Thursday, November 8, 2007

Four-Legged Friends


Many of you know that I adopted my dog from an animal rescue foundation. I was lucky enough to be working there at the time and heard a story about his little life before he came to the center to be adopted. Apparently he'd once been a show dog, or at least the owners thought he would be one until his ears came in floppy instead of pointy. Anyway, they moved and just left him there to fend for himself. The people who brought him into the shelter, neighbors of the previous owners, tried to keep him, but he attempted to "display dominance" over their other dog. The poor baby had never even been neutered. This is common in show dogs, since they often make money off of the males by charging a stud fee. At what point he was made to fear large males, I will never know, but I can assume. I took him into one of the kennels in the back and instantly my heart was his. This furball is family now!

Animal rescue and protection is a cause very dear to my heart. I found this great organization that helps fight abuse and neglect on an International level, and not just here in the States. Look into your hearts, or at the cute little fuzzbucket next to you, and check this out! I will warn you, if you've got a soft heart, you will probably cry. If it touches you, I hope it fuels you to do something. If we don't speak up for them, who will?

No comments: