Friday, November 9, 2007

Happy Neon Sign Day!

Today is, you guessed it, Neon Sign Day. Today in 1911, Georges Claude was given a patent for his glowy, glitzy signs. Here are some of my favorites:


The Pink Motel is located in Cherokee, NC. Still open for business!


The Elephant Super Car Wash has been serving Seattle since 1951!



The Smiling Buddha was something of a CBGBs for Canadians. Parts of it are featured in the punk mocumentary, Hard Core Logo.

Ah, the Stardust. May it R.I.P.



Andy's is in San Jose, California.

Speaking of Andy and Neon, if you make it out to the Comedy Store sometime, do me a favor and take a picture of Andy Kaufman's sign. I looked for it all over the internet, and couldn't find a thing. I would be forever grateful. In fact, I propose that we make today Andy Kaufman Appreciation Day, as well! Youtube up some videos of him. Listen to Man on the Moon on my mp3 player. Watch reruns of Taxi. How can you not love the lunatic?

No comments: